Much more Open Source risks in Enterprise Software than expected
Companies use much more open source software than they think
- almost ALL audits finds open source (i.e. in M&A or OEM due diligence)
- >90% finds unknown or unclear open source code licenses
- 50% of code contains GPL
- 33% of application code in average is open source
- in average 100+ unique open source components in each application
- but sometimes 1.000s or even 10.000s
Most companies have no open source management
- less than 50% of (larger) IT orgs have effective open-source governance (Gartner)
- and much less of the smaller + medium size orgs
- those with open source reporting only know aprox. 45% of used open source components
Resulting in unclear risks!
- Security = which components have which vulnerabilities?
- Legal = which licenses are used + how does this match with code usage?
- Operational = which version is used + how old are they?
Solution for risk assment and automated mitigation? www.versioneye.com
= License and Version Control plus Security Alerts
See how SAP Partner and B2B Integration Market Leader SEEBURGER has not only resolved this issues but also increased developer productivity and safed money.
Read our Book “Best practices for commercial use of open source software”
More related articles: